Monday, November 7, 2011

FEAR…OR…FAITH

 

Acts 2:42-47

“All the believers devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching, and to fellowship, and to sharing in meals (including the Lord’s Supper, and to prayer.

A deep sense of awe came over them all, and the apostles performed many miraculous signs and wonders.  And all the believers met together in one place and shared everything they had. They sold their property and possessions and shared the money with those in need.  They worshiped together at the Temple each day, met in homes for the Lord’s Supper, and shared their meals with great joy and generosity—all the while praising God and enjoying the goodwill of all the people. And each day the Lord added to their fellowship those who were being saved.”

I have thought about these verses for months and it was this weekend that I began thinking about them again because God brought this issue back to my attention as if to say… “This topic is not finished yet, we have lots more to discuss.”

How cool would it be to see people getting saved every day? To lead friends to Christ daily? And just what is stopping us? These verses basically lay out the things to do to see this. Why don’t we see it happening in our lives? It’s frustrating! Maddening! And yet this is what God had to say to me about it…

FEAR…or FAITH!

And He gave me a list…

We can either have FEAR: of rejection, of not having enough, of no one showing up, of being wrong, or of what others will think of us…

OR

We can have FAITH: that God knows what he is talking about, that the impossible can happen, that Miracles can happen, that there is hope, that God can change hearts…

It’s our choice, He says, Which one will we choose? Which one sounds more appealing to you?

Let’s share what we have. God has given us so much! Why should we get to keep it all to ourselves when there are so many in need of God’s grace and love…

Jesus, I pray boldness over the church. Boldness that will shine bright. That we can bring our church experience to our community in need of you. Take our fear away! Replace it with boldness and passion! A boldness that will lead us to begin to lay hands on people in our work and schools. A boldness that would make miracles apart of our lives every day. A boldness that would bring people to their knees in surrender to you every day…AMEN!

The Following is my last few thoughts for now…

From Fear To Faith

A Woman begging in the streets

Tattered shoes on her feet

Two children attached to her side

Wearing Shabby attire and tears in their eyes

I stop to watch with a compassionate heart

Before passing on by without any more thought

 

As I turn the corner I see an old classmate

Sitting in his car unsure of his fate

Suffering with every breath

As life holds him captive

How I long to go and lay hands on him

But once again fear wins

As my feet move me in the opposite direction

 

I see people like this all the time

Suffering and hurting and ready to cry

How many times I wish I had just tried…

What harm would come with a simple spoken prayer,

And yet every time fear paralyzes me

From being able to share

I hear them calling from a deep, dark place…

God, what can I do?

I need you to give me strength

To help make a difference in those lost lives

You came to save

No comments:

Post a Comment